Saturday 21 March 2015

Gunpoint: Part 2

Please read the first part here.




Agar hum logo ko nahi bachayega..Toh tu bhi nahi bachega..” 

The words of the masked leader, who I thought was probably very ugly looking, echoed through my numb head. If I had known, that getting this job involved being shot at, I would have bargained for a better salary. And a bullet proof vest maybe.

Earlier when the leader punched me, I had to pretend it hurt a lot to get some time to think. This time I really didn’t need to pretend.

Okay, so what were my options now? I guess I could wait for the police to ambush the bank and corner these assholes. But I think on the first sign of a police break-in, Mr. Ugly Eyes would kill me or injure me even more. 

So I have to find a way, to get myself at a distance from the robbers till the police arrive. Or I have to help the robbers escape. Right now I don’t know how to manage either. Time’s running out for me.

Through all the pain and confusion, suddenly something struck me. Maybe it would work.

I looked at the leader and said “On the first floor, behind the chairman’s office..Ek fire exit hai..You can escape from there.”

Hmm thik hai..Chal exit dikha.” the leader said.

I got up. And fell down again. One of the robbers lifted me by my right shoulder. Touching gesture.

Hoping that this was not the last day of my life, I lead the robbers to the first floor emergency exit. It opened onto a secluded back alley, from where they could easily escape the police. The siren was still pretty distant. And surrounding the entire perimeter of the bank, would take the police some time.

The robber who was supporting my weight, laid me down on the floor in a not so gentle manner. The leader asked his five men to go ahead of him. Then he looked over his shoulder at me. Again his ugly eyes just couldn’t hide their triumph.

Smugly he said “Kabhi baap ke saamne shana nahi banane ka…Samjha?”

With that last retort he shut the fire exit door. And I could feel my mind veering towards unconsciousness.

About ten minutes later, but what felt like much longer, I vaguely saw two police officers accompanied by a worried looking Jyotsna, approaching me.





2 weeks later:

I have never been treated like a hero before. It does feel good though. But what doesn’t feel good, is my left shoulder. The doctor says that I won’t be doing any weight lifting exercises for a few months. I guess for once, I have a real excuse to avoid hitting the gym.

It’s been a two week long stay at the hospital. In a few more days, I’ll be back home. 

Though Jyotsna bringing me lunch every day was great. According to her, we are going to take things slowly. I don’t know what she means by that. But whatever it is we have, it’s good.

Yesterday I saw the bank robber’s faces on the news broadcast. Admittedly, the leader was not as ugly as I thought he would be.

Oh and I also got promoted. It’s the same work. Just a higher designation and better salary. Sigh, it’s all good.

What? Did I miss something out? Oh yes!! My master plan. My brilliant strategy which helped save the day.

Well it’s pretty simple really. I don’t bring my lunch from home. So every day I have my lunch in the back alley of the bank. Reasonable price, good food and female employees from various offices. What else can a bachelor ask for?

So this fire exit was a pretty regularly used short cut for me and a lot of other people in the office. And what we knew, and the robbers didn’t, is about Rocky.

Rocky, is an ex military man who owns a small biryani stall called ‘Army Biryani’. Not a very creative name. But when you are over seven foot tall and have handled some real nasty situations for your country, people tend to let these small things pass.

So what do you think does an ex-military man do, when he sees six men in black masks, with guns in their hands, escaping from the fire exit of a bank?  Well he shows those men, that they chose to mess with the wrong Biryani wala.

Tap tap tap tap...

Are those footsteps I’m hearing?

It must be almost lunch time. I think that might be Jyotsna walking down the corridor. I’m going to pretend to be asleep, so that she gently runs her hand over my face thinking that I’m not aware of it.

Sigh, I live for these small moments.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...